Hatch Detroit has announced the top 10 semi-finalists for the 2012 Comerica Hatch Detroit contest.
This year’s competition brought in more than 250 business plan submissions, representing a 25 percent increase over last year’s contest.
Drum roll, please. Here they are:
Detroit River Sports
– Kayak rentals to city-goers, offering tours through the canal districts of Belle Isle, Downtown and other parts of the city.
Detroit Vegan Soul Café
– Vegan food with a soul twist, currently operating as a catering and food delivery business, looking to open a store in Midtown.
– A wine bar featuring authentic Spanish tapas in a relaxed yet upbeat setting, looking to open in Midtown.
Motor City Design
– A custom denim specialty retail store featuring Made in Michigan products where customers can watch garments be made right in the store, looking to open Downtown.
Pho da Nang
– A Vietnamese restaurant based in Clawson looking to open another location in Midtown.
Rock City Pies
– A handmade pie company specializing in unique combinations such as Salty Apple Carmel Pie and Blueberry-Custard Pie, looking to open in Midtown.
– Based on the biergartens in Germany, operating as a pop-up in West Village, looking to open a permanent space in the neighborhood.
The Collective Tap
– High-end beer retailer offering classes and food parings, looking to open Downtown.
Vividbraille Studio Boutique
– Fuses high-end fashion and design with USA manufacturing in a retail setting, offering customers some of the finest Made in the USA fashion goods, currently operating in Chicago and looking to expand to Detroit.
Whip Hand Cosmetics
– A cosmetic company, currently operating online, looking to open its manufacturing and retail facility Downtown.
HuffPost Detroit's Kate Abbey-Lambertz wraps some good narrative around this announcement here